Saturday, June 26, 2010

Week 4 Sirra Leone

I want to thank everyone for their personal responses to an email, those truly do keep me going and motivated everyday. I will try by best to respond individually, but it may take some time, so have some patience with me! A lot has happened in one week and I am so happy to be able to share these experiences with my closest friends and family. When I first came to Sierra Leone, I had a long list of things I thought I would miss from home, (you all the most,) but I have to say some of those things changed quite a bit. I thought I would always miss hot showers, but now I find my self counting down the hours until I can enjoy a nice cold bucket bath. If I am not sitting under the breezy Mango tree, or on the porch when it is raining outside, I am usually drenched in sweat...I thought Texas was hot. Just imagine x 2 with NO AC (something I do miss.) Except, it seems that local Sierra Leoneans do not sweat and when its 85 degrees outside they feel cold. Who would have thought?It is all part of the experience though, and feel blessed to have the opportunity to be here.

There are a lot of giant spiders here that I have had nightmares about...but apparently not even kids are scared of these bugs because my host sister killed one with a broom and picked it up with her hand to get rid of it, (while I was freaking out in the background.) Besides all the creepy crawlers though, I feel as though I am on the island because I am surrounded by palm tress and fresh fruit, which is awesome!! Our host family is wonderful and we are having fun just teaching them and learning from them. We introduced the kids to UNO and probably play it every night, and have learned how to cook and do laundry with out electronics! On the fourth of July we are having a celebration with all the trainees at our site. I volunteered to put some games together, but also signed up to kill and cook a chicken...Ill let you know how that goes!

On top of all the funny things that happened this week, I really felt a tremendous sense of purpose because we had the opportunity to teach at junior secondary school. I had so much motivation because the children were so eager to learn and I was, (to my surprise,) able to teach a successful English class. Many students did not have notebooks or even a desk to sit at. I know these are problems that are out of my control, but what I can control is being a role model, especially as a female, for students who have to work at the age of 7 and barely have enough to survive. I can control what I teach and give these children the chance to make a better life for the families. I cannot wait until this LONG SLOW training is over and I have my own classroom and set of students!

Again, I am so happy to share all of this with everyone, and will try to post some pictures as soon as Iget a USB. Please continue to write me back...I promise I am reading them and keeping everyone's words in my hearts. I love and miss you all so much and cannot wait to see you in a short few years!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment