Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Journey Ahead

When we applied to Peace Corps almost a year and a half ago, (I believe it was December 2008,) I never imagined I would be getting ready to travel to Sierra Leone and teach middle and high school youth for two years. I remember learning about Sierra Leone in my African Politics class and reading about the civil war and the devastating tragedies of the country along with the struggles it faces in rebuilding, especially within the education sector. I am excited that we will be the first volunteers to return to the country since the war started nearly 15 years ago, but also know that it will also be a challenge to start projects and community relationships from scratch. I have an overwhelming amount of emotions and ideas of what this experience will be like, but have decided that having no expectations is the best thing that we can do to prepare for our journey. I am at the point, with less than two months before we depart, in which all the work we put in to applying, volunteering, and waiting, has lead to a sense of accomplishment. (Trust me it has taken a great deal of patience and WAITING.) As I frantically think about everything we have to pack, put into storage, and the loans we must defer, I am calmed by the fact that on June 2, we will be departing on a journey that will change, test, and humble our lives forever, while also reaffirming our mission in life; to serve others.

To close here is a quote that helped bring us together and keesp me passionate about everything I do in life. -Sarah

“Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in a love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the mornings, what you will do with your evenings, how you spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything.”
-Father Pedro Arrupe

2 comments:

Kimmy said...

Sooo excited for y'all. Good luck and God speed

gram said...

Our granddaughter Katie left this morning for D.C. then Sierrea Leone. We are excited for her but also scared for her. It is a new adventure a long way from home.I am glad to know that you will be there also, you sound like a very nice person. Have a great time and keep the faith.
gram

Post a Comment